Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Join a Gym...Really????

Ok, so Em and I recently received a coupon in the mail for a local gym for $10.00 a month....Great deal, right?  Well we decided to visit said gym today and take a look around because we wanted to see if it was a good idea to drop the money.  We are also looking to buy a house in the next couple months so money is something that is coming at a premium now. 

So we went to the gym and looked around.  One of the big things I was looking for was a basketball court, which they had.  So we got there and walked around and the first thing I noticed was that the court was being used for a dance class.  So I came to find out that the classes are always on the court, leaving little time for the pick up games that I was looking forward to.  Oh well, moving on....

The rest of the gym was nice, don't get me wrong but it seemed very tight between all the equipment.  I think I could deal with it. 

If anyone has ever been to the gym in January, you know that there are those "newbies" who made their resolution, are there to work hard, but will be gone by March.  And, they are so prone to talking on the phone or chatting with one another, it takes literally 20 minutes to do 3 sets on a bench.  I have dealt with this before, but I guess I am losing patience in my old age.

So it came down to the price.  I could deal with all these issues because I would go, put my head down and work hard then go home.  I'm not there to make friends or meet girls.  I'm good in both categories.  So the deal was $10 a month for at least 1 year.  Then there is a $20 fee for their "card".  Then, come to find out, there is a $20 lock in fee to guarantee that $10.00 for the time.  That fee is applied in January and June.  Originally, $120 bucks for 1 year.  Easy decision

Their price-120+20(card)+40(rate guarantee)=180 a year.  Still not bad, but I'll pass.  I can go down to my basement, put on loud music and bust my butt for 1 hour then walk upstairs, shower and put on my sweats.

My price=free.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah the January Joiners are really clogging up the machines and cardio equipment. When will they learn that walking at 2.5mph for 30 minutes isn't doing anything- they need to be lifting weights!

    ReplyDelete